Friday, March 21, 2014

Homemade Sausage

So, Dave and I had a blast cooking again this week.  I've been wanting to make homemade sausage forever.  I begged my mom to get me the food grinder attachment for my Kitchen Aid just for that reason, in fact, but in something like 7 years, I've never actually made sausage.

I've used it for salsa of all kinds: hot, mild, cucumber, pineapple, green, red, you name it.  I've used to grind venison for chili and burgers.  I used it once or twice for fruit to make popsicles.

So, I had a pork roast thawed out and we decided to finally give homemade sausage a try.  It was loose sausage because it was too late to hit up the farmer's market for sausage casing.  We had a container of roasted tomatoes from Wegman's, and some leftover shredded parm.

We put all of that through the grinder along with whole pink peppercorns, whole fennel seeds, crushed red pepper, sea salt, chili oil, garlic, basil, oregano.  And it was delicious!  I made meat sauce with it and while I worried over the sauce, Dave cooked asparagus with bacon and parmesan cheese.

Next time I'll measure and share the recipe.  :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment