Saturday, March 29, 2014

Give Pasole a Chance

So, quite some time ago, Lisa introduced me to the wonder that is Pasole (puh-soe-lay), which if you don't know, is a DELICIOUS chile-laden Mexican pork stew with hominy.  It's often served over rice and topped with lovely things like, sliced jalapenos, various shredded or crumbled fresh cheeses or crushed tortilla chips.

After pairing down the recipe slightly (I'm not sure she meant to send me the version that calls for 6 POUNDS of hominy), Dave and I are giving it a shot today.

We had bought a very large pork tenderloin at Sam's Club for an outrageously low price.  As much as I hate Walmart, it's hard to argue with $20 for an 11lb. tenderloin.  We brought it home and cut it into more manageable pieces.  Two of these piece were cooked at pot roasts and the broth was set aside for making pasole.  A third eventually became the sausage in my last post.  The last piece is currently simmering in the crockpot as a nearly finished pasole.

Various dried/smoked chiles are first toasted slightly, then softened in hot broth.  The pork gets cubed, salted and browned.  The hominy get broken up and rinsed.  The meat and hominy get added to another, larger pot of hot broth and once the chiles have been given a quick spin in the blender, they're added too.

Loads of garlic, cumin, and since I didn't have epazote, oregano.  It's got a long simmer time left, but so far, it's delicious.

By the way, have I mentioned, I love having someone around to cook with?

No comments:

Post a Comment