Monday, March 31, 2014

Wait, What Kind of Chips? Kale chips?

Yup.  Kale chips.  After this afternoon, I'm going to be up to my eyeballs in them, but hopefully the D&D groups demolishes them tomorrow night.  If not, I'm going to be eating A LOT of kale this week.

I guess Natalie started it, if that's fair to say.  She's the one who brought a box of them with her last week.  Then Obes tried them and liked them.  And then Dave.  I passed because they were salt and vinegar flavor, but remarked that I've made them in the past and I really liked them.

A bit of back and forth was had about someone bringing more next week, and no, I will, and so on.  And I sort of thought that would be the end of it.  Figured, maybe this coming week, somebody brings some.  Or not, whatever.

Until this weekend, Dave and I went grocery shopping.  We eat TONS of veggies.  I think we polished off a pound and a half of roasted cauliflower last night.  He sees neat little bundles of kale and remarks that I should make kale chips for gaming.  Next thing we've got 3 bunches of kale in the cart and a whole list of different flavors I'm supposed to make today, since I only had a half day.

Well, I can't remember what the flavors were supposed to be, so Dave's getting what I feel like, HA! but I figured I've share the basic recipe for these tasty little buggers, since it's been a while since I've posted a new recipe.

So, without further delay!

Kale Chips

1 bunch kale
Cooking Spray or your favorite oil in a sprayer or Misto
Salt (any kind)

Preheat oven to 275 degrees.  Wash and thoroughly dry kale.  Tear into bite-sized pieces (stay on the big side, they'll shrink some).

Arrange kale in a single layer on a cookie sheet or in a large shallow baking pan.  (I've seen that some people like to throw parchment paper in the bottom.)  Spray generously with oil - I like olive oil.  Sprinkle with salt to taste.

Bake chips for approximately 20-25 minutes.  Turn/stir them about halfway through.  Keep an eye on them so that they only dry/toast.  Do not let them burn.   It's gross.

Enjoy!  Make more than you think you'll need, they don't last long.

If you have leftovers, or you're making them ahead, let them cool completely and store in an airtight container.

Other options:

  • add black pepper and garlic powder, for a simple but flavorful seasoning
  • taco seasoning
  • McCormick Parmesan Herb Perfect Pinch plus grated or shredded parmesan cheese
  • Ranch or other dressing mix
  • curry powder
or whatever other seasonings you love!

No comments:

Post a Comment