Monday, February 14, 2011

Homemade Lip Balm = Epic Win!

I made another batch of lip balm this morning and I decided to take what I learned from using the recipe and just kinda wing it. I used the same amount of beeswax, but used coconut and safflower oils instead of just almond. Kept the Vitamin E, used Sweet Orange again, but I skipped the cocoa and honey.

It turned out good. It's yummy, it's a little more solid this time, and I managed to make a slightly bigger batch of this one.

I'm not sure whether the solidity is owed to the coconut oil (which is solid at room temp, if you've never seen it) or if it's because I left out the honey, but I need to remember that this recipe hardens faster than the other one does. I think I'll need to pour this one without dropping the pot into cold water.

At any rate, I'm having a blast and feeling really good about what I'm doing. Especially after the week with a sling in which I basically sat around and bitched about the sling, because it was something to blame my boredom on. Honestly, even without the sling, there's no way I could have grated beeswax with how my wrist and fingers felt last week.

I think that I'm going to whip up one more batch of balm before I have to pack it in and head to work. I'm thinking Wintergreen this time. I really want to make mint, but everybody does Peppermint. I also need to spend some time working on a list of infused oils I want to make. Definitely Vanilla Bean, because Vanilla Bean + Sweet Orange + Wintergreen = Root Beer! Not kidding, it's an incredibly close approximation. And I can probably get closer if I wait until spring and dig some sassafras root at my grandparent's house.

Any flavor ideas would be welcome, let me know!

3 comments:

  1. Ummmm. how about Pina Colada! Yum!

    Patty B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Almond is a win. Wintergreen is a SUPER HOT win. . . I got some guys to make-out with, let's move! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made Dark Chocolate Mint now, which got yummy!

    Patty - I think I figured out the pineapple part, but I'll have to try it and see. I'm a little concerned about the acid content, but I've got a couple of plans.

    Manda - I need to find Almond with a good taste and then I'm all over it.

    ReplyDelete