Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Rabbit Food and other Healthy Snacks!

First of all a huge, huge Thank You! to Lisa, who has been unbelievably helpful to me these last couple of weeks.

A couple of Saturdays ago, I wasn't feeling well near the end of work.  My blood sugar sometimes get a bit lower than it should if I haven't eaten enough or often enough, so I went into the breakroom to forage.  I didn't have any change for the vending machine, so I ate the last cookie from the cookie demo and raided the stash of freezepops in the freezer.  And after a bit I felt better.  Then I started to feel shaky, dizzy and so on, again.

I figured it was because I didn't eat much for lunch, so I grabbed a sandwich, soda and sweet potato fries at Burger King on the way home.  I ate the fries and finished the soda in the car and brought the sandwich inside to eat.  Just out of curiosity, I used the Nephew's glucose meter to check my blood sugar.  And it was high,  Like DIABETIC high.  So, I'm thinking it's a bad test strip or a glitch and I check again.  And I'm a couple points higher.

Don't finish the sandwich, drink some water, wait an hour.  Still high, but much lower.  So I fix myself a low carb dinner (pork chop and asparagus) and test myself an hour later.  Totally normal.  I have a snack, test an hour later, not too high, but higher than I should be.  Now keep in mind, I've never had high blood sugar before, I've never been diagnosed diabetic.

So after much debate, I call the on-call line for my doctor's office.  The on-call returns my call, I explain what's going on and over top of the screaming kids in the background, she tells me that my BG numbers are totally normal for a diabetic, it's ok to be scared if this is new to me, but I should keep taking my diabetes meds and call my regular doctor on Monday.  Then, and this is the kicker, tells me that if I didn't know my numbers, I wouldn't be worried about them, so I should just not test my blood sugar until I see the doctor.

WAIT!  WHAT????

She just told someone she's assuming is newly diagnosed diabetic, not to test themselves???  Are you kidding me??  Talk about reckless and irresponsible.

So I saw my doctor Monday, who echoed my thought about the on-call, and was also concerned about my blood sugar numbers. She recommends starting on a low carb diet, continuing to try to be more active and lets get some weight off and see what happens.  Also, some bloodwork.

 So a little bit of bloodwork and a week's worth of checking my blood sugar later, I have another appointment.

My a1c (a measure of your average blood sugar over the last 3 months) looks great, my fasting glucose number was fine, my cholesterol is beautiful and I've lost 8 lbs.

The conclusion:  Apparently, I'm not actually diabetic, I just need to eat and exercise like I am so that I continue to not be.

I'm a crackers and pretzels kind of snacker, so this is taking some adjustment.  To the surprise of everyone around me, I haven't been devastated about giving up sweets, or about being the next best thing to actually diabetic.  The biggest problem is, I don't know much about low carb snacking and so much of the stuff at the grocery store that says low carb is filled with chemicals, which I'm rather not eat.

I'm a big fan of not eating things I can't pronounce, but I'm soooo tired of eating carrots.  Any ideas?


No comments:

Post a Comment