Sunday, August 28, 2011

This Hippy is NOT Amused.

So, we survived Hurricane Irene. My heart goes out to the families of those who were not so fortunate. Damage was minimal, I suppose, given there was a hurricane/tropical storm, but it was also much worse than we anticipated.

Outside, the only damage was a broken flower pot and it was ugly and empty anyway, so I'm not concerned. We never lost power. All the water that came in the cellar door and the coal bin, ran right out the drain in the basement floor.

But the roof leaked. A lot. We think there's a good chance that our brand new (seriously, they finished it less than a year ago) bathroom may need serious renovations. I'm reasonable certain that the whole ceiling needs to be replaced, as well as a severely damaged corner where water ran down the wall behind the paint.

The paint is just sliding down the wall. By the time the rain stopped the whole side of the backsplash had swelled up and pulled away from the wall. If the backsplash is water logged, you know that the end of the counter top is too.


The pic is sorta upside down but, this is wear paint is coming off of the ceiling. Water also seeped down between the drywall seams in the ceiling in almost the whole room. So much water came in that we have a damaged ceiling tile in the dining room. And did I mention my entire house stinks like wet Sheetrock?

I understand that we're incredibly lucky. I get that. That doesn't mean I have to be happy about my bathroom getting destroyed after the roof was "fixed" last summer. I am relieved that everyone I love stayed safe, even if a few of them still have no power, but I am NOT amused.

No comments:

Post a Comment