Monday, January 14, 2013

Hanging Gardens of My Kitchen

I've always wanted an window garden in my kitchen.  Grow a few herbs (this was before I realized I'm apparently incapable of growing herbs indoors) or maybe some tiny little succulents like aloe or hen and chicks.

THE PROBLEM:


I have one window with a good sill in my kitchen, and I have cats.  Who love the window sill.  Desperately.  And who are about as graceful as a dumptruck.

I figured my window garden was doomed.  Years ago, I had some plants on a little tray table in my apartment, and I was constantly picking the pots up from the floor.  I assumed this would be, if anything, even worse.

Then I saw a friend link to this list on Buzzfeed.com and the wheels starting turning.  It's all about small space and container gardens for not a lot of money.

THE SOLUTION:


Hanging window garden!

I don't have the plants yet, because apparently I'm crazy and you can't buy succulents at Lowe's in January, but otherwise I'm ready to go.

Total cost out of pocket = $16

  • painted tin buckets - $4 at Target ($1 each)
  • 7/8" dowel rod - $2.50 at Michaels
  • curtain rod brackets - $6 at Bed Bath and Beyond (clearanced for $2.99 each)
  • cactus soil - $3 at Lowe's (markdown for torn open bag)
  • jute twine - was already laying around the house

Just need the valance/cafe curtains on the window and the plants for my buckets and I finally have my kitchen garden!



2 comments:

  1. I remember my college roommate and I growing herbs in our little studio apartment! We didn't have cats to worry about, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just don't have luck with herbs indoors. I have a row of potted herbs on the patio every year and they do great, but inside? Forget it! I'll stick with low maintenance succulents, which incidentally, I bought tonight and will be potting after my snack, I think.

    ReplyDelete